Meade ETX90EC Telescope is the first consumer GOTO telescope. It is built on the innovative ETX concept to craft the most sophisticated electronically-controlled telescope. It includes optional automatic GOTO object-location with Autostar™ computer controller produced in their range. It has idiot-proof features that won’t leave you guessing in the dark.
Its maker, Meade is founded in 1972 and is a world leader in the design and manufacture of telescopes and accessories for amateur astronomers. The list of Meade’s firsts is the most impressive in the industry.
Meade ETX90EC Telescope w/Electronic Controller
Sale Price: $589.90
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Eligible for free shipping!
Price and Main Features List
This ultra-portable telescope is priced at $589.90. Meade ETX90EC Catadioptric Telescope is a fine piece of craftsmanship at a surprisingly affordable price.
- 90mm clear aperture
- Maksutov-Cassegrain optical system
- Fork mount, Dual axis motor drive system
- Flip mirror that allows snapshots of terrestrial scenes and bright astronomical targets
- Super multi-coated optical lens
- Setting circles and locks on both axes
- EC designating electronic control
- Can be used in Althazimuth or Equatorial mode
- Has built-in motor drives and a push button hand controller
- Features Autostar which automatically points the scope to more than 12,000 celestial bodies stored in an internal database
- Uses 8 AA batteries located under a snap-on cover located at the bottom of the scope’s base
- Has available software updates downloadable from Meade’s website
- Backlit hand control
- Optional electic focuser available
Who is it for?
It is for beginners and amateur astronomers who are tight in budget. Its ultra-portability makes it easier and convenient for those who travel lot.
Pros and Cons
It has a very high-tech looking, blue finish design. The focuser is very tiny and rather tricky to get in touch with when the telescope is pointed higher than say 45 degrees. The back of the tube, where the focuser is placed, runs over the base of the mount with little space left. It is exceptionally quick and easy to set up. Work your way with the two bolts for connection with tripod, and latch the Autostar into the mount and you’re all set. Meade’s ETX series optics offers superb contrast, image brightness and resolution. Meade warranties the optics of this telescope to equal or exceed optical performance and resolution of other scopes in the market of similar aperture.
Its system (mount and drive) is not proposed for astro imaging. But they are good for tracking objects to slewing, all for visual pleasure. The Autostar database contains 12,000 celestial bodies. It offers tours that are tailored to the present date.
Why you should buy it?
It is the first inexpensive telescope that is capable of tracking swiftly moving objects. It can also be connected to a computer to introduce more people into astronomy. This telescope is convenient, easy-to-use and it could possibly outperform many instruments in larger apertures. The flip mirror system allows 90 degree observation of land and sky objects.
Overall, Meade ETX90EC Telescope is a very good telescope. They put the money into the optics and Autostar. It combines optical design(high-resolution) and imaging( limited diffraction) with accurate celestial-object tracking ( controlled by a micro processor), all in a properly styled, greatly portable telescope.